Wednesday 28 December 2016

Review - Brake Failure by Alison Brodie

About the book

“Is it too late to tell him you love him when you are looking down the barrel of his gun?”

An English debutante transforms from Miss-Perfectly-Correct to criminally insane as she breaks the bonds of her rigid upbringing. Sheriff Hank Gephart tries to reel her in - but she’s out of control and she’s not hitting the brakes.

What happened to the genteel lady in twin-set and pearls? And why did she shoot Mr Right?

Brake Failure is set in 1999 in the months leading up to Y2K “meltdown” when the US government was spending $150 billion preparing for Armageddon As Lionel Shriver says in her novel, We Have To Talk About Kevin: "1999, a year widely mooted beforehand as the end of the world."



Buy here

My Review

I had so much fun reading Brake Failure everything about it captured my attention and held it all the way through. Ruby is a complex character who goes on a pretty surprising journey to find out who she really is.

Hank is brilliant with Ruby, I loved their feisty clashes and sizzling chemistry. Ruby isnt always a 100% likeable but I think this works in her characters favour. I always find characters like Ruby more endearing and believable. Even if at times I want to shake some sense into them.

There are a myriad of supporting characters but they all equally bring something to the story. I especially loved Molly and her friendship with Ruby. A special mention has to go to Rowdy, he was great!

A bit of everything goes into this story and I found it so difficult to put down. I ended up finishing it really late one night as I had to know how it would all end. The plot moves brilliantly with a few surprises along the way. It was intriguing to start the book in the present (well the Y2K) and then work back to show the reader what actually happened. I really enjoyed the way this worked and how we get snippets of information as to how Ruby got herself into such a pickle!


A fast paced & fun filled adventure!

Five stars from me!

Thank you so much to Alison Brodie for my copy. This is my honest and unbiased opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Rae, for your fantastic review! I am so delighted you enjoyed Brake Failure. It makes all the hard work and the "unknowing" worth it. Have a fabulous New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, it was brilliant! Hope you have a fab New Year too xx

      Delete